Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Starting the Porch Bead Board Work

This is my work area for this past weekend. I was preparing the porch ceiling joist on the left for the recycled bead board.

A couple of weekends ago, I pressure washed the bead boards and dried them. Using reclaimed lumber (these boards are about 100 years old...you'll see them later) saves money, yet it is time consuming. Removing nails (thanks Garland), cleaning grooves, pressure washing, etc.. I had to put in some 1x3 laths so I could run the bead board front to back. Hard to tell here that the house front is bowed, which would have showed if I ran the boards parallel to the front wall. Heck, it's just more wood, labor and expense, but you might as well do it right.



You can see the lath work in the picture above. Also in that picture you can see the reclaimed bead board...they are the white, green and blue boards on the ceiling. All of this work is at 10' 8" high. Saturday and Monday I got to work in winds gusting up to 40-45 mph. The wind was blowing my ladder over when I wasn't on it to weight it down. Guess I need some sand bags next time.

Now then, about that guy below. He (?) watched me Saturday, Sunday and Monday. All day he sat watching me. I guess he thought between the wind, my age and the power equipment, he just might get lucky...



...I am just glad he was patient and didn't want to make his dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment